Special Educational Needs

Many mainstream prep schools can cater for children with mild learning difficulties including dyslexia, dyspraxia and mild autism. Some schools have specialist Speech and Language Units, or more general SEN units that support children for a few hours per week, alongside their normal mainstream lessons. 

Many families come to us because they are concerned about the additional support available for their child in the state system. If your child has a low-level learning need then a mainstream independent school with a good SEN department may be the ideal option. Smaller class sizes and excellent pastoral care, coupled with specialised SEN support can help your child improve their confidence and reach their academic potential. 

There are many schools with extensive resources to support children with dyslexia and we tend to approach good, mainstream schools with the ‘CReSTeD Accreditation’ (Council of the Registration of Schools Teaching Dyslexic Pupils).

In order to find the right school for a child with learning needs, the first step is always to have an official Educational Psychologist Report completed to identify the extent of the needs and how much support is required. We can help you to arrange this if needed. Once we have this information we are able to support you in finding a school with a suitable level of support. 

If the Educational Psychologist Report identifies a more serious learning need there are a wide range of specialist schools which vary from specialist dyslexia schools (which still gain good GCSE and A-Level results) to schools for children with moderate or more severe learning needs. Contact us on +44 (0)1622 813870 for more information on finding a school with the right level of support for your child. 

Follow Us